She likes the steamed moist chocolate cake so much. This recipe I have is very simple - simple methods (takes ~ 15 minutes preparation time and 45 minutes steaming), simple ingredients, simple equipment (no mixer, no oven required) and low cost... but the result is very rewarding!
Special thanks to yong-hobby for sharing this wonderful method.
What I used
120g Caster Sugar
200g Evaporated Milk
2 Eggs (slightly beaten with fork)
100g Plain Flour
50g Cocoa Powder
1/2tsp Baking Powder
1/2tsp Baking Soda
1/2tsp Vanilla Extract
2Tbsp Rum (optional)
How I do
- Lined and greased a 7 or 8 inches round/square baking tin.
- Combine butter, caster sugar, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract in a sauce pan and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Turn off the heat and keep warm.
- Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cold evaporated milk mixture and stir till well mixed.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda into a large mixing bowl, then pour the eggs mixture and rum over the flour and combined well.
- Heat up the steamer.
- Pour the batter* into the lined baking tin. Cover the top of tin loosely with a piece of aluminium foil. Place the tin into steamer. Cover steamer and steam at medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Cool the cake before further decoration.
Steamer, sauce pan, whisk, strainer, aluminium foil (I recycled the aluminium foil from my daughter's soft pack milk powder)
Points to hightlight:
*To make a smooth batter, strained before pour into the baking tin.