Sunday, July 31, 2011

Spicy Onion Prawn / Sambal Udang

In my memory, this is one of the few spicy dishes that I start to take when I was young. I love the natural sweetness of the onion and juicy prawn. Whenever my mum prepared it, I would go for second helping of rice. Just add a few slices of freshly cut cucumber together with hot steamed rice make a perfect match of a complete meal for me!



Ingredients:
600g Prawn (medium, shell removed)
200g Onion (sliced)
½ cup Oil
70g Tamarind Pulp
1 cup Water (for tamarind juice)
1 tsp Salt (or taste)
1 tsp Sugar (or taste)

Curry Paste (Pounded)
50g Dried Chilies (seed removed)
200g Shallot (peeled)
3 cloves Garlic
2 stalks (large) Lemongrass
1 Tbsp Turmeric Powder

Methods:
1. Heat up oil, sauté curry paste at medium heat until lightly brown and fragrant.
2. Add sliced onion. Stir fry until soft.
3. Then add prawn, stir fry until well mixed with curry paste and aromatic.
3. Add tamarind juice and mix well with the prawn and curry paste.
4. Lastly add sugar and salt to taste and continue simmer to reduce curry to desired texture.
5. Serve well with hot steamed rice and slices of freshly cut cucumber.

2 comments:

  1. My Jeffery likes this dish very much. I can copy the recipe cook for him. Thanks for Sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, its yummy. Am sure he would like it!

    ReplyDelete