Friday, August 5, 2011

Monkey Beach Excursion

Monkey beach (Teluk Buyung) located in Penang National Park is a place that brings fond memories during my teenage years especially when I spent time camping on the beach with my schoolmates.






















The surrounding hasn’t changed much except the park is now managed by the Forestry Department and there is a visitor center before entering the park.

The new attraction in the park besides the rich flora and fauna is the canopy walkway but it’s closed for renovation.






Being the smallest national park in Malaysia, the Penang National Park is another tourist’s attraction available in Penang. Several other noticeable changes includes amenities provided such as rest areas, toilets, signage and litter bins. The path that led to Monkey beach is narrow and steep at certain stretch as the path were laid along the steep land parallel to the coast line that formed part of the park’s boundary .


Yesterday morning, I joined my students to hike to Monkey Beach starting from the entrance and passed through Aling Bay (Teluk Aling), where the USM Marine Science and Coastal Studies Research Center located.












It took us about 1 ½ hours to reach the destination. The white sandy beach and several dilapidated bungalows and broken huts along the beach were just the same when I was there during the 80’s. No amenities available in Monkey Beach as it is situated on private land but local tour operators has set-up huts and barbeque stove and camping ground for tourists and visitors.







Nearby, is the Muka Head light house built in 1883 and is still in operation. It was fun and enjoyable day as I had lunch on the beach and watched students playing games.























Besides the students, foreign tourists were seen coming to the beach by speed boat to swim, fishing and sun bathing. As in any other tourist’s spots in Malaysia, the cleanliness is the prime issue. I can see rubbish strewed on the stretch of the beach.










After resting for an hour, it’s time to return. All my students choose to take speed boat when returning but I decided to hike back to where we started and it took me an hour. I met many friendly tourists along the hiking trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment